The NDA exam is one of the toughest competitive exams in India. The candidates who are hoping to crack the NDA exam must be physically fit and mentally strong. In order to become eligible for appearing in the NDA exam, you first have to meet some specific eligibility criteria as provided by the Indian Army. According to this eligibility criteria, a candidate between 16-19 years can apply to join the Indian Army. The eligibility criteria for both male and female candidates include nationality, age limit, educational qualification, physical and medical requirements.
UPSC releases an official notice with a comprehensive description about the eligibility condition for the Naval Academy. Every candidate has to go through the eligibility criteria. You can find more information on NDA eligibility criteria by visiting BYJU’S Exam Prep.
- Issue of Admission Certificate alone will not imply that he will be conferred the title of NDA office.
- UPSC conducts the verification of a candidate’s eligibility to sit for the exam through some background checks to find out if they are eligible.
- A candidate in whose case it becomes necessary to confirm that they meet the requirements may be admitted to take the exam, but their appointment to the service will be conditional upon UPSC’s receipt of a certificate demonstrating that they are indeed eligible.
NDA Eligibility – Physical Standards
The minimum height requirement for applicants to the Indian Armed Forces Academy is 157 centimetres (162.5 cm. for Air Force). For certain individuals, who are unable to meet these height requirements due to unique circumstances, there are exceptions allowed based on the region they may represent. The age-specific weight and height standards based on the region are given below:
|Height (in cm) for ARMY/AIR FORCE||Weight (in Kgs) for Different Age Groups|
|15-16 Years||16-17 Years||17-18 Years||18-19 Years|
Physical Standards For Navy
Students who want to join the Navy will have to fulfil the below requirements:
- A candidate should have a minimum of 81.50 cms, and a maximum of 96 cms as sitting height.
- On the other hand, the leg length of a candidate should be a minimum of 99 cms and a maximum of 120 cms.
- The thigh-length of a candidate should be a maximum of 64 cms.
NDA Eligibility – Visual Standards
A candidate must follow the visual standards for the NDA exam:
- The better eye count should be 6/6, and the worse eye should be 6/9
- A candidate having Myopia should not be more than -2.5D
- A candidate with Hypermetropia should not be more than +3.5D
- Candidates wearing spectacles will be rejected during the medical exam.
At the same time, it’s important for candidates to ensure that they stay in good health. Three of the most common conditions that may disqualify one from moving forward are epilepsy, varicose veins, and cardiac conditions; this is why it’s so important to share any worrisome health issues with the relevant authorities during the medical exam. A candidate must ensure that they are not suffering from any of the under-mentioned conditions:
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Hydrocele / Phimosis
- Condition of Overweight / Underweight
- Under Sized Chest
Additionally, candidates are encouraged to get a medical exam done to ensure they’re in good shape and will be able to keep up with the rigorous training schedule at NDA.
Are Tattoos Allowed in NDA?
Many candidates have several questions about tattoos. Students are curious if having tattoos on any of their body parts will get them rejected during the examination.
- Applicants must ensure that their tattoos are only visible on the inner side of their arms. This is because tattoos on other parts of the body, such as the back of your hand or anywhere else besides the inner part of your forearm, will not be considered.
- In certain tribes, permanent tattoos are still a common tradition among that population, though this may change in time.
- Candidates with permanent body tattoos on any other body part will be rejected.
This article took you through the physical eligibility criteria for an NDA officer. To strengthen your preparation strategy for the NDA exam and other competitive exams, make sure you check the free material available on BYJU’S Exam Prep to ease your preparation. Happy learning and all the best!
Stay Connect with our education blog & Write for us education