With almost everything going digital, you are suddenly compelled to spend hours staring at your phone or laptop. Students and office workers are the ones who spend the majority of their time on their devices.
When you leave your eyes unprotected, you will incur long-term health issues. Continued exposure to blue light radiated from your devices can seriously damage your eyes.
If your lifestyle requires you to stay hooked on your phone or laptop, you may want to consider getting blue light glasses. These glasses are built specifically to work against blue light radiated from your device.
What Features Should You Look For?
If you’re not sure what you should look for when shopping for these glasses, consider the following tips:
- Choose a pair that fits in with your lifestyle
- Check reviews to ensure you’re getting a good deal
- Consult an eye doctor before making your purchase
- Ensure that you feel comfortable with the frame
- Compare the prices that seem the most reasonable and efficient
- Ensure that they are functional for both night-time and daytime
Benefits of Wearing Blue Light Glasses
According to reports, an average Australian spends nearly 17 years looking at their phones. This is concerning as your eyes are delicate organs and require great care.
Blue light glasses feature lenses that minimise your exposure to blue light. In addition, many blue lenses also have an anti-glare feature. These glasses can reduce potential damage to your eyes and soothe digital eye strain.
Here are a few more reasons why you should invest in a pair of blue light glasses:
- Better sleep: Blue light can disrupt melatonin production, a sleep-inducing hormone. These glasses can help you maintain optimal melatonin levels and get a good night’s sleep.
- Less eye strain: Looking at a screen the whole day can make you experience eye and muscle strain. These glasses increase contrast on your screen and make it easier to focus and reduce eye strain.
- Fewer headaches: Blue light triggers migraines and severe headaches. So blocking blue light with these glasses can help you minimise migraine attacks and headaches.
- Reduces risk of eye diseases: Prolonged exposure to blue light can damage your retina and potentially lead to many eye diseases. So wearing blue light glasses is a great preventative measure.
- Controls cortisol levels: Blue light can cause your cortisol production, the stress hormone, to fluctuate. Protecting your eyes can help you balance your cortisol levels.
How Digital Devices Hurt Your Eyes
All phones, laptops and computers are known to emit blue light. Prolonged exposure can boost your chances of permanently damaging your eyes.
Experts think that digital eye strain plagues about 50% of users.
Blue light can also penetrate into your retinas and damage them. The extent of the damage will depend on the wavelength and length of exposure.
Additionally, research has indicated that blue light increases the likeliness of you contracting macular degeneration. Age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of permanent blindness.
Blue light glasses come with protective technology that reduces the effects of blue light and digital eye strain.
Your lifestyle or work may not allow you to use less of your digital devices. But you can take preventative measures to protect yourself from the effects of blue light. Invest in a pair of protective glasses for the sake of your eyes.